Monday, September 16, 2013

He makes broken things new

So life got crazy after the last post.
my car died
the pup got sicker and actually passed away yesterday.
I spent the weekend and today focusing primarily on family and getting in some dates with friends and such.
It's been crazy. And tomorrow morning I'll pack up the remainder of my stuff. Take off my wedding bands - ya know the whole don't wear jewelry thing (which i've never had off more than a couple of hours for child birthing.). Grab a plane and start the journey to Africa.

Yesterday at Church they ended out the service with calling dave and i to the front. Our Pastor spoke a bit about the trip - I said a few words, The elders joined us at the front - surrounded us and prayed for us.
If you don't know our story well here's your chance. I don't share it too often. We don't speak of it really unless it's asked. I tend to hide behind those wedding bands. The appearance of a well put together family. Enough newer people have come to our church in the past 9 years that I can hide behind that ring. I can share and be vulnerable and share my struggle and yuck ..... but we won't go that far or that deep into the muck. The Lord has worked wonders since that time. Healed wounds. Grown us as individuals and as a couple.
See He's in the business of making broken things new - and we were broken
See here i am batting around the bush still not getting to the point.
Dave and I had premarital sex. And i got pregnant. And the world seemed to stop and collide all at once.  It was bad , it was rough. It was one of the hardest times but it was also the time in my life where I actually began to see Him for who he really is. Where I got to really experience his provision.
Where I watched him take the broken pieces and put the shattered bit back together - and his light got to shine through. That even in all this He would get the glory.
Part of this story is us going before the elders - before our pastor - telling them of our obvious sin and now the consequences but yet also somehow one of  the consequences (a baby)  was going to be a blessing ?  In all of this what our hearts longed for was to honor the Lord - in the filth and the dirt of sin - in the wreckage we created - in the hurt we caused our families, we wanted to use our response to honor him - we wanted to follow his will for our lives in the situation. Marriage was never a problem - we had known for a while that we wanted to get married. But how were we called to handle this situation.  After much prayer and counseling we decided to follow the wise counsel of our church leadership. So one sunday after church service - the pastor asked all members only stay - and they did - and we were called to the front (thank goodness we didn't have to speak i think i would have fainted - I also was new to this church and community - dave however grew up  here - his entire life. ) and it was spoken. And we asked for forgiveness - because we wanted restored fellowship with the church. We wanted fellowship. Most people wouldn't do this - most don't. These things happen and everyone goes about life like nothing really happened or they gossip behind closed doors - We wanted to be upfront . Honest. and honestly isn't this how we should deal with our sin - because our sin does affect the church body - no matter if it's visible or not - ours just happened to be very very visible - at least the results were. Afterwards The body was invited to come up to us if they wanted and to say anything they wanted. or not to. I kid you not. Every. Single. Person. got up and a line formed. We were met with love. unconditional love. tears and love. hugs. embraces. words of encouragement. None of this we deserved. It was one of the most precious memories I will ever hold on to. The day I got to witness the body of christ love unconditionally. To show me , pretty much a stranger love like i had never seen.
A month later we were officially engaged and another month later married.
He redeemed that situation - in that moment i believe. It was a picture .
And yesterday we were called before the church for much different reasons.
It was sweet. It was a precious gift. For me personally. For my husband. Those precious men praying for this trip and for my family. Their hands on my husband and i. It was a good day. It was a sweet day.
I could go on but all i can muster is He makes broken things new.
He's in the business of redeeming.
He has been unbelievable gracious to us.
Tomorrow I get on a plane to go to Africa - to do photography for a mission organization.
Are you kidding me?? Me? who am i that i would get to go


2 comments:

  1. Ohmylanta, you made me cry. What a beautiful picture of how God redeems situations. I love the way you and your church chose to handle that situation. I am so excited for you tomorrow (and seriously jealous). You are going to love it. It is going to be so hard and so sweet all at the same time.

    I did want to get the ABC clinic # to you: 01-761-670/743, or 0-888-211-085. If anything happens health wise, be sure to call them. They have lots of medicine (plus all of the supplies to treat malaria).

    I can't wait for you to get back and tell us all about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marley! Can't wait to share it with you!

    ReplyDelete